Julian began his professional career working at HM Customs & Excise, now known as HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), within their VAT enquiries team.
After three years he moved to Ernst & Young’s London office. Over the two decades that followed he has worked as a VAT based across the country in Reading, Worcester and Oxford.
Joining Milsted Langdon in 2017, Julian brought with him a wealth of VAT expertise. Julian provides advice on a wide range of complex issues and can assist businesses with VAT efficient transactions and structures.
He has built up an extensive technical knowledge over more than 20 years’ specialising in VAT and takes a proactive and practical approach when supporting businesses.
His specialist advice has helped and continues to help businesses to achieve substantial VAT saving and successfully argue against HMRC decisions.
Julian can assist with:
- Advising on land and property deals, including whether purchases of land can be treated as a VAT free transfers of a going concern.
- Advising on building projects, including in determining whether the lower and zero-rates of VAT are appropriate in respect of costs incurred.
- Advising charity clients as to whether VAT registration is required and if it is, the extent to which VAT can be recovered.
- Advising educational clients on VAT recovery, including Capital Projects.
- Liaising on behalf of clients with HMRC in respect of VAT inspections and in respect of specific VAT liability issues.
- Carrying out VAT reviews to ensure clients are informed of risks and opportunities.